[time-nuts] Finding a good antenna location?

Yuri Ostry yuri at ostry.ru
Fri Nov 21 15:43:16 UTC 2008

Hello, Alan.

Friday, November 21, 2008, 18:11:47, you wrote:

A> I recently picked up a Thunderbolt on eBay.  For the present, I will be
A> using it with the antenna inside, and have been experimenting with various
A> window locations for the best signals.  Even small changes in position make
A> a significant difference in the individual satellite signals, though
A> fortunately there are several locations which are qualitatively good in
A> terms of the number with acceptable signal strengths.

A> My question is whether there is a general "goodness of reception" parameter,
A> or process, which would allow me to at least semi-quantitatively find the
A> "best" antenna location?  The constant motion of the satellites seems to
A> preclude the normal "tune for maximum" approach.

A> Apologies if I missed this, and thanks for the great info I did find in the
A> archives.

A> Alan
A> WA4SCA

Rule of thumb for GPS antenna location - more unobstructed sky view is better. Less
reflective objects around antenna is better.

Sometimes nearby transmiting antennas may represent problem, if there
is oxidized compression joints that may act as "frequency multiplier"
(non-linearity).

Height is not so critical, unobstructed sky view is much more important...

--
Best regards,
 Yuri  UA3ATQ/KI7XJ                        mailto:yuri at ostry.ru