[time-nuts] Oncore question

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 00:26:40 UTC 2008

Hello Arnold,

the current drawn by the Motorola GPS from the backup bat is not linear
versus voltage.

On an M12+, the real time clock takes most of the current, and will stop
operating after about a day or less on a Supercap. The SRAM memory keeps
maintaining it's contents for much longer than that.

After the RTC crystal stops, the power consumption goes down to extremely
low discharge rates.

I have seen our FireFox units (M12+ with supercap) still maintain position
and almanac over more than 1.5 weeks! Down to 0.5V or so. The Date is off by
that amount too of course since the RTC just stops ticking.

This presents a serious problem due to a fault in the Motorola firmware (in
my opinion):

The M12+ sees a "valid" Almanac, but the time and date are off due to the
fact that the RTC crystal just stopped a some point.

The M12+ thinks it's a different time/date than it really is, and
desperately tries to search the sky for a sat constellation that is not  there. It
doesn't even reset its internal RTC when it sees a couple of  Sats.

I have seen instances where it took a day or more for the firmware to catch
on, and reset the time in the RTC.

When using a small coin Lithium battery, the backup time is only 6 months  to
1 year or so typically, also not a very good performance.

Not a good situation, they could have solved that more elegantly for  sure.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 11/22/2008 16:06:57 Pacific Standard Time,