[time-nuts] 10 MHz over optical fiber?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 25 01:29:14 UTC 2008

Marco IK1ODO -2 skrev:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to carry a 10 MHz standard frequency signal inside an EMC
> screened room via fiber optic cable.
>
> Not willing to re-invent the wheel, do something like an optical
> standard frequency link exist on the market?

Yes. I know of several commecial systems. If you only need to do a short
jump, then using fairly basic E/O-O/E equipment should work well
enought. It all depends if you want/can to roll your own or need to buy
a finished product (aka "buy this, and you will be fine!").

Stay of plastic "fiber" if you can. Go multimode at least.

> I think it is possible to use standard 100MB LAN transceivers, and
> POF. Phase noise requirements
> are not very stringent, and the distance is in the order of some tens
> of meters.

Cheers,
Magnus