[time-nuts] GPSDO using 100Hz

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue Nov 25 01:53:44 UTC 2008

Warren,

This is what I believe, feel free to set me straight :-)

The 100Hz is done by synthesis from the GPS receiver's crystal oscillator,
which is usually not on a harmonic of 100Hz, at least not precisely (cheap
crystal) so the receiver will usually generate each pulse to the best of
it's ability to line up to 100Hz (so these will have somewhat deterministic
jitter due to the difference between 100Hz and the divided crystal), and
only once per second will try to align the average pulse train to GPS. There
is pure jitter 99 times out of a hundred, and actual correction the 1/100
time.  The advantage is that the once-per-second correction is burried under
(spread by would be a better term) a fair amount of 100Hz noise, so it's
probably easier to filter, allowing the use of a faster filter than a 1 PPS
output for the same level of 1 PPS attenuation. You can't use the scope to
determine if the jitter is pure jitter or a GPS correction, but I bet a TIC
feeding a PC would.

The point is that older receivers in particular simply don't have the
horseower to update the timing solutions 100 times/second, or 10,000 times
per second.

Didier KO4BB