[time-nuts] huntron tracker advice & troubleshooting withoutschematic advise

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Wed Nov 26 04:04:02 UTC 2008

Patrick,

Please do not take this the wrong way, but having all the test equipment in the
world is not going to help you troubleshoot if you do not have the foundation to
begin with.  The foundation I am referring to is both educational and
experience.  Obviously, experience takes time and is a gradual accumulation of
knowledge from trial and error using tools learned through education.  That said,
one cannot expect to know it all and thus not everything is going to get "fixed"
without some sort of assistance whether it is in the form of schematics or other
people helping with suggestions (i.e., learning from experience).

The more you grasp and understand the general nature of circuits and their
application, the broader your base of knowledge will become.  That ever growing
base of knowledge is the primary tool for attempting repairs when the normal
information is not available.

So before you spend tons of money on what may be ill advised purchases, I would
consider the above in determining the proper course of action.  Obviously having
basic test equipment is important; more importantly is knowing how to properly
apply such equipment.

One last point.  Read, read, and read !  There is a vast wealth of information
available from the IC producers and "some" equipment manufacturers, most notable
Hewlett Packard.  This is in the form of service manuals, component
specifications, application notes and white papers.  Sure, the appnotes and White
papers get quite complicated at times, but you can still grasp some form of
understanding from them.  The spec sheets for various ICs have quite a bit of
educational value, especially from the better companies like Analog Devices,
Maxim and others like them.

Bill....WB6BNQ