[time-nuts] 10 MHz over optical fiber?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Nov 27 00:55:41 UTC 2008

Didier wrote:
> If your concern is simply a stable frequency reference, that's true, even
> though I am not sure what kind of cleanup oscillator would match the short
> term stability of a maser. But also if you want to use it as a time
> standard, the phase shift in the fiber has to be compensated, and it's
> variations over temperature/humidity/gravity and whatnot must be accounted
> for.
>
> This is time-nuts, we don't simply want to make things work, we want to make
> them work good :-)
>
> Didier

Didier

A linear temperature ramp will create a linear ramp (equivalent to a
frequency shift) in the fiber delay.
Such temperature ramps may be expected at least twice a day. In other
words the the rate of change of temperature needs to be low to preserve
the frequency accuracy at the receive end of the fiber.

Bruce