[time-nuts] 10 MHz over optical fiber?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Nov 27 05:37:48 UTC 2008

Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> Yes. I know of several commecial systems. If you only need to do a short
>> jump, then using fairly basic E/O-O/E equipment should work well
>> enought. It all depends if you want/can to roll your own or need to buy
>> a finished product (aka "buy this, and you will be fine!").
>>

> Magnus, what's the typical noise floor, tempco or drift of cheap
> (i.e., non JPL-level) fiber distribution systems like this? Is it less
> than regular coax, or phase stabilized heliax? At 100 m lengths?
>
> /tvb

Tom

At 1550nm:
Tight buffered fiber has a delay tempco of around 57 ppm/K
Bare SMF28 has a delay tempco of about  7.9ppm/K
Loose fibers in gel filled tube have a delay tempco of about 6.6ppm/K
Bare Spectran fiber has a delay temcpco of about 5.1ppm/K
Sumitomo phase stabilised fiber has a delay tempco of about 0.4ppm/K at
293K.

Bruce