[time-nuts] Eclipses and atomic clocks

Yuri Ostry yuri at ostry.ru
Fri Nov 28 20:23:51 UTC 2008

Hello,

Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 21:39:41, Bill Hawkins wrote:

B> There is an article in the Nov 22, 2008, issue of Science News
B> (www.sciencenews.org) about variations in the decay rate of
B> radioactive atoms. The title is "Half-life (More or Less)"
B> where "more or less" is an idiom for "approximately."

B> There is no explanation for the observed variation. As you might
B> expect, not everyone sees the variation, but Brookhaven in the
B> US and PTB in Germany observed a few parts per 1000 annual
B> variation. One possibility is the distance from the sun. Another
B> is the change in seasons.

B> Peter Cooper, of Fermi Lab, says, "Every experimentalist knows
B> that the apparatus, or at least your understanding of it, is
B> always at fault until demonstrated otherwise." He also says,
B> "Nature is really unmoved by what I, or anyone else, believes."

B> Bill Hawkins

http://www.amendez.com/Noahs%20Ark%20Articles/NAS%20Radioactive%20Accleration.pdf , page 4...

===
* 163 Dysprosium under ionized plasma like conditions was found to
decay into 163Holmium with a t1/2 of 47 days (6). Normally 163Dy is a
stable atom, which does not radioactively decay!

* In the 187Rhenuim—187Osmium system ?b decay was found to occur. In
this experiment, fully ionized 187Re was found to decay in an amazing
measurable rate of 33 years (7, 8)! The conventional half-life of
rhenium is 43 billion years. The 187Re—187Os system is one of the
commonly used radioactive processes used to date rocks (9).

* The Lutetium-Hafnium system (176Lu—176Hf) is a newer system used by
scientists to date rocks. In this system at very high temperatures
(200-600 MK) part of the lutetium goes into a fast decay mode and
shows a t1/2 of between 3.68 hours and 8 days (10, 11). The normal
t1/2 of lutetium is about 40 billion years!
===

So, sometimes it so much less, so it is hard to compare. ;)

I hope 87Rb isn't decay so fast in ionized state... ;)

--
Best regards,
 Yuri                          mailto:yuri at ostry.ru