[time-nuts] Voltage Standards

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 00:07:08 UTC 2008

Hi Brian, guys,

I think the original thread stated something like "how to use a GPSDO as a
voltage reference".

To this I have a couple of suggestions for tinkering (not sure if this has
been suggested before):

  1) Most OCXO's have an internal Zener reference voltage that is  located
inside the oven, and thus extremely stable. This voltage is usually on  the
center pin on a Eurocan OCXO, and it is meant to drive a pot that can be  used to
trim the crystal frequency. Thus your GPSDO may just give you a  free ovenized
Zener reference already.

The better the OCXO, the better the reference typically. Absolute voltage
will be different from unit to unit though. High-end double oven units can be
expected to have the best performance.
_____________________

   2) If we have a well aged GPSDO OCXO with extremely small  aging (such as
the Jackson Labs Fury GPSDO unit in Mexico:
_http://resco.ucol.mx/Fury/gpsstat.htm_ (http://resco.ucol.mx/Fury/gpsstat.htm) ,  and it does not jump (this
one does from time to time), then the control voltage  of this OCXO can be used
as a reference voltage with very high stability.

Number 2) would be generating a voltage directly from locking to a  frequency
(UTC), so it would fulfill the premise of generating a voltage from a
frequency :) This method only works if the OCXO has extremely small aging, the
GPSDO has a very high resolution DAC (the Fury has 330nV lsb DAC resolution for
example) and the OCXO does not jump. Some SC-cut OCXO's have close to zero
aging  after months of operation, so maybe you are lucky to have one of these.

You can see that the unit in Mexico typically has a DAC variation of  +/-20uV
over the period of a day at 2.80055V, this includes the DAC/Reference
stability errors of course, so the actual voltage variation may be less than  this.

Note that by locking to GPS, the method in 2) corrects for the temperature
sensitivity of the external DAC and DAC reference!

The absolute OCXO EFC voltage is somewhat arbitrary of course, but the
stability could be excellent depending on your OCXO aging.

Due to the OCXO aging affecting the measurement this may not be a perfect
solution, but it does generate a voltage from a frequency, and many folks may
have access to old OCXO's that do not age much at all anymore.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 11/29/2008 01:33:02 Pacific Standard Time,