[time-nuts] V standards

Mike Monett XDE-L2G3 at myamail.com
Sun Nov 30 00:27:34 UTC 2008

This discussion of voltage standards is very informative and useful, and my
thanks to all who are contributing.

It is clear why precise frequency standards are needed - there are
innumerable applications such as GPS, VLBI, secure spread spectrum radio,
deep space navigation using doppler, and so on.

But I wonder why extreme accuracy is needed in measuring voltage? Don't get
me wrong - I have a HP 3456A, and I would love to have a 3458. But the
prices on eBay can reach $6k, and I can't see spending that much money for
two more digits. As Bill would say, six digits should be enough for
everyone:)

As well as the HP, I have a number of other DMM's. But the one I use the
most is a simple 3 1/2 digit Walmart special. You have to switch ranges
manually, but it provides a reading much faster than the other units which
are all autoranging. Most of the time, I am concerned with the supply
voltages. If they are correct, then CMOS and ECL logic pretty much have to
have the correct swing, and you have to use a scope to see the pulses
anyway.

So my question to the group is what kind of things do you do that require
high precision in voltage measurements?

Regards,

Mike Monett