[time-nuts] Thoughts on Cs tube failure modes

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Nov 30 23:31:32 UTC 2008

Hmm!  I appreciate the tip.  I'll confess it didn't occur to me to try to
force more current through the ion pump.  The supply I was using was limited
to about 300 uA, but I took your advice and tried a beefier one, set to 3
kV.  As I increased the current limit from 0 towards 5 mA, the ion-pump
current fell back to ~25 uA once I reached 1000 uA.

At the rate I was adjusting the current-limit control on the Glassman
supply, this occured about 10 seconds after power-up.  It seems stable now
at 25 uA, several minutes later.

I didn't leave the hot-wire ionizer energized for more than 10-15 seconds,
all told.  I'll let the ion pump run for a few hours, and then try the
hot-wire ionizer again.  Should I bother with the other supplies (Cs oven
heater, EM, mass spec), or is it reasonable to recondition the tube using
only the ion pump and hot-wire ionizer terminals?

Keep in mind that I don't have a 5062C mainframe, just the Cs tube and some
bench supplies.  I'm essentially recreating Tom's experiment from
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/cspeak/ but without benefit of an actual
clock mainframe.  So I don't have a filament shutdown/recycle controller in
the picture.  Obviously that would be needed if I were to actually build a
clock around the tube, but for now, I just want to see if the tube is
functional at all, and determine its figure of merit.

-- john, KE5FX