[time-nuts] Testing frequency using NTP

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Thu Oct 2 10:38:48 UTC 2008

Steve,

> Hmmm... If I measured a 10MHz oscillator for a 1/10 second, I
> could achieve, at best, 1ppm accuracy. Now my measuring
> system has a non accumulating error in the ms range, say <1s,
> so this would be totally unworkable. If I sampled for 1s,
> best would be .1ppm accuracy...

this is a common misbelieve but simply not true. You need not buy the
most advanced stuff. Even a moderate surplus counter like the RACAL DANA
1991/1992/1996 will get you < 1ppb (b, not m!) resolution @ 1 s. Since
more than 30 years counters do no more simply "count" but work with lots
clever electronic tricks inside!

73s de Ulrich, DF6JB