[time-nuts] Testing frequency using NTP

Mike Monett XDE-L2G3 at myamail.com
Thu Oct 2 14:02:53 UTC 2008

  >Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:58:55 +1300
  >From: Bruce Griffiths
  >Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Testing frequency using NTP

  [...]

  > For precision frequency comparisons NIST divide the frequencies to
  > be compared down to about 1Hz and time stamp the  resultant signal
  > transitions and the leading edge of the PPS output of a GPS timing
  > receiver with a resolution of a few picosec.

  > The  resultant   timestamps   are   then   processed   (along with
  > measurements taken  with  a similar system  that  time  stamps the
  > transitions of  a  1Hz signal derived from one  or  more  of their
  > frequency standards)  to  derive the  frequencies  of  the various
  > sources.

  >  Bruce

  Hello Bruce,

  This is my first attempt to post so I'm not sure if it will work.

  I have been researching the forum archive and find it is by  far the
  best resource  on time and frequency available anywhere.  Also, your
  posts are extremely helpful to a newcomer. Thanks!

  I am  curious  about  the  NIST   GPS  timing  receiver  that  has a
  resolution of a few ps. It doesn't seem possible to get that kind of
  precision with conventional GPS methods that produce a 1pps signal.

  Can you  describe  more how this is done, and do  you  have  any web
  links that give more information?

  Thanks,

  Mike Monett