[time-nuts] Testing frequency using NTP

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Oct 2 21:31:55 UTC 2008

In message <000301c924c7$26073c30$0300a8c0 at pc52>, "Tom Van Baak" writes:
>> I'm wondering about the possibility of checking the frequency of my
>> oscillator by using a NTP synced RT Linux system. What I'm thinking of
>
>An "all-PC" frequency counter is a great idea.

Actually, the best hardware for the job is the Soekris NET4501
which can timestamp a signal to a quarter microsecond.

That's why we use it for NTP servers in the first place.

All the software you need is in the FreeBSD kernel, and there
is a handy userland program to get the measurments into ascii
format (the earlier mentioned ppsapitest program).