[time-nuts] Lassen IQ receiver

Mike Monett XDE-L2G3 at myamail.com
Sat Oct 11 06:40:16 UTC 2008

  "Robert Darlington" <rdarlington at gmail.com> wrote:

  > I use  them  for  non-time keeping things.  You  need  to  use the
  > configuration tool  to configure the ports so that they  both spit
  > out NMEA,  and  the particular NMEA strings you want  to  see, and
  > then save the configuration.

  > Otherwise you  get  NMEA out of one port  and  the  Trimble binary
  > format out  of the other. Do you have a copy of the  software? You
  > can find it here:

  >http://www.trimble.com/embeddedsystems/lasseniq.aspx?dtID=support

  > Also, make  sure you have the IQ and not the SQ. The  SQ  only has
  > one port but is otherwise pin compatible.

  Robert,

  These units look interesting. Do you mind if I ask some questions?

  1. What kind of non-time keeping uses have you found for them?

  2. How  well do they work indoors? Do you have to be near  a window?
  What about inside a multi-story building?

  3. How well do they handle constellation changes? Is there an abrupt
  shift in position?

  4. Have you ever taken the shield off and looked inside? If  so, can
  you see the crystal oscillator and tell whether it is a bare crystal
  or a complete oscillator module?

  5. How  much  do  they  cost? Do you know  of  any  others  that are
  cheaper?

  Thanks for your help!

  Best Regards,

  Mike Monett