[time-nuts] Sulzer Labs D-5 oscillator

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 09:18:01 UTC 2008

2008/10/11 Mike Monett <XDE-L2G3 at myamail.com>:
>  "Rob Kimberley" <rk at timing-consultants.com> wrote:
>
>  > The smiley (humour) was implied.
>
>  > I didn't  mean any offence, but have been used to top  posting, as
>  > business email  (that's  what   I   originally  got  my  email for
>  > originally back  in  the  mid 90's) was  all  (and  still  is) top
>  > posted.
>
>  > It was  only  when I ventured into newsgroups that  I  came across
>  > bottom posting,  which to me seemed totally  illogical.  I've read
>  > the pros  of  bottom posting (and the cons  of  top  posting), but
>  > still can't get my head or my email prog (Outlook), around it.
>
>  >  Cheers
>
>  >  Rob Kimberley
>
>  There is a very big difference between a business email and a forum.
>
>  A business email is usually between two people and concerns only one
>  subject. The  exchange  is  usually  very  short,  perhaps  a single
>  question and  a  single reply. In these situations,  top  posting is
>  probably the easiest method.
>
>  A forum is completely different. There may be many  people involved,
>  but unless  they  respond  to a post, you  never  know  if  they are
>  present. The  discussion can involve several different  issues, each
>  with their  own  thread. New threads can appear  and  take  over the
>  entire conversation, or quickly disappear. A discussion can continue
>  for a very long time and involve many people.
>
>  In this  situation,  top  posting is  very  inconsiderate.  You have
>  already heard all the reasons.
>
>  If your email client is to blame, perhaps it should be replaced with
>  one more  suitable. Pimmy is an excellent client, and you  can still
>  get version 3.5, the last free one here:
>
>  http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page28.html
>
>  Pimmy is  designed  to handle an unlimited number  of  mailboxes and
>  accounts. You  can get disposable email addresses from  a  number of
>  sites. I have found KasMail is the best:
>
>  http://www.kasmail.com/
>
>  KasMail is  free  and allows you to have up  to  25  different email
>  addresses. You can use different ones for eBay, PayPal, and  each of
>  your bank  accounts. This helps increase security,  since  you never
>  use these  for  anything else. This reduces the  opportunity  for ID
>  theft.
>
>  You can  use  some  for typical web sites that  won't  allow  you to
>  proceed without an email address. However, these can often be stolen
>  and end  up  on a spammer's list. Once there,  it  is  impossible to
>  remove them.
>
>  You are  now  vulnerable  to all kinds  of  malware  hidden  in html
>  messages. These  use  GIF's, JPEG's, PDf,  IFRAMES,  scripts, Visual
>  Basic, and  other  methods  to  hijack  your  system.  Once  in, the
>  criminals can  do  anything  they want.  They  can  steal  your bank
>  account and  credit  card usernames and  passwords,  and  drain your
>  accounts. They can turn your computer into a zombie, sending spam to
> [...]

Or you can use Linux and not worry about any of this :)

And I personally think that Rob has been unfairly taken to task over a
comment about the verbiage added to emails sent from some corporate
systems which add huge disclaimers to the bottom of each message. I
took his reply as a friendly jibe to my previous light-hearted comment
on this.

73
Steve
--