[time-nuts] COMPLETELY off topic - but I know you'll read it anyway.

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Oct 11 12:38:45 UTC 2008

Jim,

Since your amplifier is specified at 1000W bridged and 2x500W non bridged,
that seems to indicate that the amp would be current limited (otherwise you
could get 200W in bridged mode), so in bridged mode, you are expected to use
speakers with 2ximpedance specified for non-bridged operation.

You say the amplifier can drive speakers down to 4 ohms, but is that the
impedance where it can deliver 500W non-bridged?

If so, you will need 8 ohm impedance to get 1000W bridged. You can't get
there with two 8 ohm speakers, unless you use a transformer.

Since the power is likely to be the same if you bridge the amplifier and put
the speakers in series, or drive each speaker with it's own channel, I would
recommend the second (each speaker on it's own output, non bridged
operation) as it will probably have lower distortion.

Didier