[time-nuts] Frequency Stability of Trimble Mini-T

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Oct 16 19:36:12 UTC 2008

> I can't find much fundamental research on this at all; and if even Mr. Vig
> says the phenomenon is not well understood.. But there are (propriatary) ways
> to  probe for the susceptibility of a particular unit to do this.

John told me once that an easy way to deal with many classes
of jumps is simply use a pair of OCXO. This is an easy solution
for a time-nut (driven by interest and passion), perhaps much
less so for a manufacturer (driven by market and profit).

If we as a group find that unpredictable phase or frequency
jumps are limiting GPSDO performance then that would be a
fun group discussion on how best to implement a N-way XO
GPSDO. If done to the extreme it could also reduce phase
noise as a by-product.

But let's not jump (!) to conclusions that Mike's problem is
necessarily all quartz related. Given how little testing any of
us have done on this particular GPSDO, speculation should
take a back seat to measurement.

/tvb