[time-nuts] Austron 2100 Loran-C Frequency and Timing Receiver

Skip Withrow swithrow at idcomm.com
Fri Oct 17 18:02:12 UTC 2008

Hello Time-Nuts,

Well, my Austron 2100 seems to have bit the dust.  The indication of trouble
is that the 1pps light quit blinking.  After some debug it appears that all
the hardware is working (I have the manual with schematics) and that it is
not getting a software pulse that diddles a flip-flop.

There are some software diagnostic routines in the box.  The RAM test runs
fine, but it appears that I get an error on the EPROM test.  The test
generates an E-20 error.  The book states that if the EPROM test fails it
will give an E-21, but nowhere do I find any hint as to what an E-20 error
is.

I suspect that perhaps I have a corrupted EPROM.  Most of the code appears
to be working properly (front panel display and buttons work, it will even
lock to Loran).  There are three 2732A EPROMS, but no indication as to the
checksum on the devices so can't verify if one is bad.

Is there a time-nut out there with an Austron 2100?  I would like to get a
copy of the EPROMS or the code in them to check my unit.  Even the checksums
would help (given that the firmware revision is the same).  The boards are
very easily accessed from the front panel and the unit doesn't even have to
be taken out of the rack.  I have the capability to read and program the
devices.

Thanks in advance for any help with this oldie, but (was) goodie.

Skip Withrow