[time-nuts] Question on crystal jumps

iovane at inwind.it iovane at inwind.it
Wed Oct 22 21:57:16 UTC 2008

> Hi Antonio,
>
> precise pendulum clocks also suffer rate jumps, the process
> of rate jumping seems to be common to most time counting
> systems.

Thanks, I was missing this info.

> I have an LPRO rubidium oscillator. I mounted it on a heat
> sink with fins and placed it in an insulated box. A small
> (40mm) fan is switched to control the base-plate
> temperature at 40*C + or - 0.05*. As it warms up to the
> control point the oscillator control voltage changes by 1
> volt, so the oscillator control voltage is very temperature
> sensitive. I do not think it will age beyond its
> control range.

In this case, I believe it is a design spec. I experience the
same with several LPRO's. The crystal inside LPRO has an heatsink itself, which would improve the thermal coupling between it and the rest of the assembly. I think it is expected to run at its nominal frequency after the warm-up of the whole unit. It may have beed designed accordingly.

73,
Antonio I8IOV