[time-nuts] Question on crystal jumps

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Wed Oct 22 22:48:07 UTC 2008

College freshman physics (in 1955) included a story about the
probability
of all atoms in a chalk board eraser moving the same way at the same
time,
causing it to jump off the board. The incredibly small probability of
that
happening was what kept solid matter apparently inert.

I would not discourage you from looking for an intergalactic cause of
jumps,
but I think the laws of probability are quite sound. Perhaps you could
prove
that by describing the randomness of the jumps in many crystals in many
places.

Bill Hawkins