[time-nuts] Question on crystal jumps

Ron Smith ronald.p.smith at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 22 23:08:56 UTC 2008

Hello Antonio,

A.W.Ladner and C.R.Stoner in their book "Short Wave Wireless Communication"
describe a phenomenon called "stepping", which may be the same effect as the
jumps you are
investigating.

The book is quite old, 4th edition published in 1942 by Chapman and Hall,
and refers (on page 321) to stepping in X- and Y-cut crystals, which may not
be common these days, but perhaps crystals of all cuts are affected to some
degree.

The text says the curve of frequency against plate thickness does not give a
straight line, but has discontinuities in it. These discontinuities they
call "stepping points" and are a result of edge vibrations coinciding with
sub-multiple frequencies of the wanted thickness vibration mode. The degree
of coupling between the wanted and unwanted modes varies with crystal
dimension. If there is zero coupling, the stepping points should not affect
the main oscillation. But perhaps even the smallest change in dimension can
cause it to cross one of these discontinuities and jump to and fro? I
suspect that crystal sensitivity to stepping or jumping may be correlated
with its temperature coefficient, although there are other factors
(including gravitational) that influence frequency of oscillation at very
small levels.

Antonio, these frequency jumps are not a phenomenon I have come across
myself, so I have nothing to log,
but I am interested in what you discover. Wouldn't it be fascinating if you
discovered a global trigger to many simultaneous frequency steps?
The book reference is a bit old I'm afraid - things have moved on since
1942.
Good luck.

Ron Smith
G3SVW