[time-nuts] Question on crystal jumps

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 23:47:04 UTC 2008

Hi,
In : Accurate Clock Pendulums by Robert Matthys (2004) Oxford
University Press ISBN 0198529716, Pp264
In Chapter 8 , "The Allen variance and the rms time error", on page 38
he writes:
Figure 8.1 shows another characteristic of pendulum clocks - the
clock will run relatively
smoothly at one rate , and then after 3 - 6 months it will suddenly
jump to a new rate
as shown if Fig 8.1.

He goes on to say that this is part of a random walk process.

I hope that is of some help.
Neville MIchie