[time-nuts] Question on crystal jumps

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Thu Oct 23 15:09:15 UTC 2008

"iovane\@inwind\.it" <iovane at inwind.it> wrote:
> Hi Rick
>
> > I'm not quite sure what the question is here....
>
> The question is:
> may anybody tell me (date and time) when a crystal jumped?
> (a sample response could be: my crystal jumped on January 22, 2006 12:25 UT).
>
> I would like to map in time as many jumps as possible.
>
> I hope someone in the list has a log of his jumps.
>
> Thanks and 73,
> Antonio I8IOV

Antonio -

Folks have short (days) and long (multi-year) plots of the EFC in their
Z3801A. The EFC is the correction factor to keep the 10811 inside
phase-locked with GPS. At www.realhamradio.com you'll see an index
of many many people's EFC plots.

My unit shows a fairly steady aging drift with random EFC jumps, typically
once or twice a week, but sometimes it goes weeks between jumps.

My gut feeling is that the distribution of times between jumps
is Poisson, but only because I'm a former nuclear physicist :-).

Tim.