[time-nuts] Measuring ADEV with a PM6681 or CNT-81

Heinzmann, Stefan (ALC NetworX GmbH) Stefan.Heinzmann at alcnetworx.de
Thu Oct 23 17:11:50 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I hope you can clear up some confusion that I have regarding ADEV measurement. I was under the impression that you need a counter that is able to timestamp each rising edge of the clock under test, or equivalently measure period time continuously with no dead time. Now, while the CNT-90 can do this, the CNT-81 ( = PM6681 ) can't. Still, a message last December to the list here (http://www.mail-archive.com/time-nuts@febo.com/msg10963.html) seems to indicate that using TimeView you can have ADEV plotted with the "lesser" model, too. I have a PM6681 and TimeView, but I couldn't find out how to do it. Maybe it can't be done.

So what's the deal on this? Can it be done, with or without TimeView, and if yes, how? If this has been answered earlier, a link would be just fine.

Thanks and cheers
Stefan