[time-nuts] Measuring ADEV with a PM6681 or CNT-81

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Oct 24 20:07:45 UTC 2008

Heinzmann, Stefan (ALC NetworX GmbH) wrote:
> The picket fence technique indeed seems like an interesting solution. The one thing that made me concerned is the problem of detecting missing data. The detection seems to be hardest when the frequency of the DUT is a submultiple of the picket fence frequency, which is what your examples amount to. So I wonder: Would it be better to use a noninteger picket frequency if one wants to measure PPS signals?
>
> Cheers
> Stefan

Stefan

I presume you are referring to missing PPS pulses from a GPS receiver.
In this case with a timing GPS receiver logging the timestamp associated
with each PPS pulse should allow you to detect missing PPS pulses.
The M12+T and M12M -T timing receivers can make this data available.
Otherwise very coarse time stamping is more than sufficient to detect
missing PPS pulses.
Such time stamping can easily be done with a PC.

Bruce