[time-nuts] While we're discussing backups...

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Sep 4 21:00:48 UTC 2008

Hi Robert:

I tried to comment on this using another computer and think it did not get posted.

The only backup that's trustworthy is one that's tested to confirm that it
works.  For example if you clone your C: drive to a new hard drive then swap
hard drives.  The removed C: drive becomes the backup and you have a new (and
larger C: drive to continue working).

A backup that's not used immediately may be completely defective when needed.
A friend was using RAID (his concern was hard drive failure, which in my
experience is the most common problem) and when the RAID software said
something was wrong he was not able to recover using RAID.  He paid a disk
drive recovery service $4,000 to get his data from the dead drive.

Note that cloning a drive copies everything so all your applications, data and
registry info gets copied.  Any backup that's not a bootable version of your
complete system may be missing something needed to be used.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html  Products I make and sell
http://www.prc68.com/Alpha.shtml  All my web pages listed based on html name