[time-nuts] Help with HP 8640B generator

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Sep 5 23:49:12 UTC 2008

What do you have in mind?  I have an 8640 cavity that was removed from
service with a noisy transistor.  What limits the noise floor on these
units -- the cavity or the transistor?

The dividers bottom out at around -150 dBc/Hz, so there's no point improving
the cavity oscillator much beyond that unless you want to re-engineer the
whole divider chain, or you only care about the 256-512 MHz range.

-- john, KE5FX