[time-nuts] Help with HP 8640B generator

Thomas A. Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Sat Sep 6 03:38:38 UTC 2008

> Trivia:  The engineer who designed that chip for HP 35 years  ago
> has the cubicle next to me at Agilent Labs!  It was  considered
> very advanced at the time.
> --------------
> The cubicle?
> -----
> Think of it as many nested boxes, within the building there is a
> room, within the room there is a cubicle, within the cubicle there
> is a piece of test equipment, within the test equipment there is a
> oven enclosure, within the oven enclosure there is a box, within
> the box there is an oscillator, within the oscillator there is a
> crystal housing, within the crystal housing there is a chunk o'
> rock, upon which everything rests...

Collapsing down toward infinity.  Fractal engineering at its finest.

Perhaps my experience in engineering for the gov't differs a bit from
that found at such a high end company, but I would have expected that
at that level of seniority, those folks usually rate an office with a
door...or is that sort of thing reserved solely for management?

Tom Frank, KA2CDK