[time-nuts] Ancient OCXO in scope calibrator.

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 05:54:10 UTC 2008

Is this calibrator gated?

Back in the stone age when I started work, a CRO (with a 5BP1 tube in
it) was calibrated in time by a gated oscillator
that put little pips on the trace at 1 microsecond intervals.
So that the markers would not crawl across the screen the oscillator
was stopped
and started for each trace so as to be in phase with the synch pulse.
The CRO was probably 1950s vintage, I was using it in 1961 for
calibration of navigation radar.
The CRO tubes were very non-linear so graticule divisions were not
accurate enough.
cheers,
Neville Michie