[time-nuts] VNG sound files

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Sep 14 14:34:10 UTC 2008

On 9/14/08 12:57 AM, "Jim Palfreyman" <jim77742 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well let me be the devil's advocate and also put the cat amongst the pigeons
> here...
>
> With GPS, what actually is the use of a SW time signal?
>
> Jim

---

Some off the cuff, before that first cup of coffee, answers:

WWV provides more than a time signal.. There¹s propagation bulletins, storm
warnings, etc.
Yes, there are alternate solutions for these things, sat phones, etc..
However, there's something very resilient about a system which relies only
on me having a single piece of gear (an HF receiver) and for which the
infrastructure is fairly limited, which provides a variety of capabilities.
The GPS receiver provides accurate nav and time, but doesn't do weather. The
WEFAX off the satellite does weather, but doesn't do nav and time. The
satphone does comm and low rate data, but not nav, time, or weather.

I can receive WWV indoors. (so, when it's raining outside, I can still time
my cookie baking with atomic precision.)

Maybe, though, I *am* a codger, and you're right, if one takes a
dispassionate look at the "system requirements" there is no need for HF time
signals that can't be met in other ways.