[time-nuts] Help with Datum/Symmetricom TymServe TS2100

Skip Withrow swithrow at idcomm.com
Wed Sep 24 21:15:33 UTC 2008

Hello time-nuts,

I have recently acquired a Datum TS2100-IRIG NTP time server.  Nice
unit, and I do have IRIG-B to feed it, however, reading the manual I
notice that there is a GPS version as well.  Upon taking the top of the
unit off I notice that there are the connector and standoffs for both Oncore
and Trimble ACE-III sized receivers.  Tried plugging both in, but the unit
does not
seem to recognize it (always reports GPS receiver busy).

I tried calling Symmetricom (talked to Larry Dearing) but seem to be
caught in a Catch 22.  They will not release the information on how to
make the change, and will not do it themselves since the product has
been obsoleted.

Anyone have a sympathetic contact at Symmetricom?

Does anyone have a TS2100-GPS that they wouldn't mind taking the top off
and spending a few minutes on the phone (303-790-1830 8am-5pm M-F)?  There
does appear to be some jumpers on the board, and there are also words in
EEPROM that can be modified via terminal interface.

Also notice that there is an LPRO rubidium option for these units.  I
have one of these too and would be interested in trying to upgrade to
rubidium as well.  Anyone with one of these units out there?

Thanks in advance for any help or direction in finding answers to these
questions.

Skip Withrow