[time-nuts] time-nuts Frequency Divider

Richard H McCorkle mccorkle at ptialaska.net
Sat Apr 4 19:20:40 UTC 2009

John,

The specifications for AC coupled input sensitivity of the 74HC4046
from the major manufacturers are shown below. Brooks found that the
Fairchild device had lower sensitivity and recommended using devices
from TI or Phillips.

Fairchild MM74HC4046
Ac coupled input sensitivity @ 500 KHz

 25mv p-p typical, 100mv p-p guaranteed at 25C @ 2v
 50mv p-p typical, 150mv p-p guaranteed at 25C @ 4.5v
135mv p-p typical, 250mv p-p guaranteed at 25C @ 6v

Phillips 74HC4046A, TI CD74HC4046
Ac coupled input sensitivity @ 1 MHz

 9mv p-p typical @ 2v
11mv p-p typical @ 3v
15mv p-p typical @ 4.5v
33mv p-p typical @ 6v

On Semiconductor MC74HC4046A
Ac coupled input sensitivity not specified

Richard