[time-nuts] CTS oscillator info?

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Tue Apr 7 20:56:11 UTC 2009

Peter Loron wrote:
>> I just bought an oscillator on ebay. Here's the basic description from
>> the listing,
>> "This is an auction for one CTS Knights 970-2162-0 (WP 93216-L1) 5MHz
>> OCXO oscillator."
>>
>> It is a double oven and actually has a frequency of 5.000055 MHz on
>> the
>> label, so 55 Hz above
>> 5 MHz. I'm hoping it is a very clean source and will be good for
>> beating
>> against other 5 MHz
>> sources to measure them, but I haven't found any more info on this one
>> with searches.
>>
>> Does anyone on the list have any guess what it might have been used
>> with? I'm guessing it may be
>> for some piece of measurement test equipment. Or does anyone have a
>> lead
>> on specs for the
>> quality of its output signal?
>>
>> The auction was 130297655960, if anyone wants to look at the pictures.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Rex
>>

> Hello, group. The item Rex is referring to is one I sold to him. When
> I acquired the lot of OCXOs, I sent a mail to CTS, asking them for any
> information on them. They were able to supply me with the mechanical
> drawings, but the specs are proprietary as they were custom built for
> Lucent...likely embedded in some sort of comms equipment. I'm guessing
> that if they went to the expense of buying double-oven oscillators,
> they chose good specs for them.
>
> I'm thinking of desoldering the adjustment screws on one of them to
> see if I can tune it to 5.000000 MHz, although that is probably in
> noise floor of my equipment.
>
> For somebody (like me) who does not have a background in metrology and
> lacks any serious measuring equipment, is there a way to characterize
> items like this short of sending them to a lab?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Pete

A list member sent me a brief CTS datasheet. Looks like the oscillator
is probably a version of JKSC-142. The info is brief and does not
mention noise but the main feature is long term and temperature
stability. STABILITY: +/-1x10^-7 for 20 yrs without any adjustment.

I can't guess why Lucent would want them 55 Hz above 5 MHz unless it was
some kind of measurement application, but I don't know much about
telephone stuff.

-Rex