[time-nuts] OT: 10 MHz data capture, help

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Apr 10 21:15:15 UTC 2009

Tom Van Baak skrev:
> I have a old data device that is spitting out TTL data at 10 MHz.
> There's just a data line (no clock) but the edges clearly indicate
> an internal 10 MHz clock.
>
> I'd like to do a continuous capture of the bits, for up to tens of
> minutes, into a PC. That comes to about 1 GB of raw data. I can
> handle the decoding of the bits in software after the capture is
> done. This is a one-time experiment.
>
> What is the best/quickest/easiest way to capture data like this?
> I've looked at various USB or LAN logic analyzer and 'scopes
> but most seem to work on batches of data. I need a continuous
> capture.

Have a look at the GNSS sampler for instance. It can handle the data
rate fairly easilly. A GNSS sampler would be easy to modify for this
application. Using a standard 8 bit serdes clocking in at 10 MHz and
outputing data in the rate of 1,25 MB would make it efficient. It's a
standard USB chip in there and it handles continous streams fairly
easilly. It's the same as in the software defined radio stuff, which
would be another option. Regardless it would be able to handle your
datastream without too much trouble.

Cheers,
Magnus