[time-nuts] Characterising frequency standards

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:37:09 UTC 2009

The whole purpose of taking a data set from a known ZDT counter and then throwing out random samples is to simulate the kind of data that a normal counter would produce.  You could compare the results and get an idea of how using a normal counter for calculating adevs would compare to using a ZDT counter. I would start by generating random numbers from 0-3 and throwing out that many samples.

With most normal counters you cannot guarantee that you would get a sample every other interval.  It all depends upon how the counter works,  what its timebase is,  how it triggers and retriggers,  how it is being read out,  what the input signal is, etc.   I would suspect that most counters would give a reading every two or three intervals.  I have seen some counters give two consecutive back-to-back readings then a long dead time.

But randomly throwing out data points would introduce ZDT. The whole
point I was making was that the data set is well defined the "missing"
data occurs every other sample therefore tau0 = 2 x (sample period of
each sample).