[time-nuts] Chart recorder consumables (was HP 117 paper )

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Thu Apr 30 17:57:36 UTC 2009

I've thought about buying one of the phase comparators that have a chart
recorder, but I've been concerned about the availability of consumables
(i.e. paper and ink / pens ).  Are these things generally available?
Only some models?

I see that the HP 117a uses pressure-sensitive paper.  How well does it
age?  Would an old roll still be usable even if you found one?  Would
old traces fade away?

In a previous life I used Gould / Brush 220 chart recorders that used
very smooth coated paper and liquid blue ink that was always making a
mess.  I wouldn't want to get into that again!

Ed