[time-nuts] PTS D310 and GPIB

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 10:22:10 UTC 2009

In a message dated 03/08/2009 10:39:55 GMT Daylight Time, rexa at sonic.net
writes:

Manuals  for other PTS units posted by GandalfG8 <Nigel> on Didier's
pages  got me started -- thank's guys. The D310 should be able to
generate  frequencies to 0.1 Hz resolution. I haven't figure out how to
set it  beyond 1 Hz resolution. The 'F' command sets the frequency. I
assumed I  would just give it one extra digit for the extra resolution,
but that  doesn't seem to work.

---------------
Hi Rex

Glad to hear the manual was helpful:-)

I'm not familiar with the D310, aware of it but never seen one,  but the
basic PTS310 is only specified to 1Hz resolution so would have  expected the
D310 to probably be the same.

The PTS310 is the only one of the lower frequency units, ie below 1GHz,
that doesn't have 0.1 Hz as an option but it's also the only one that offers
it's finest resolution by default.

Whereas the other units use a series of identical optional plug ins to
provide the 10KHz to 0.1Hz steps, the PTS310 uses a digital synthesis  module
for the finer resolutions so always goes to 1Hz but doesn't, as far  as I'm
aware, have any option to extend beyond that.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR