[time-nuts] [OT] Help needed with HP 16700A

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Wed Aug 5 05:43:21 UTC 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 7:13 PM, christopher hoover wrote:

> Peter Loron <peterl at standingwave.org> wrote:
>> I have a HP 16700A logic analyzer that I'm trying to troubleshoot.
>> I  can get access to the console via the serial port, and I can see
>> that
>> it boots up normally, except that it fails to start the X server,
>> and  drops to a login prompt for which I have no credentials.
>
> I "inherited" one of these at HP Labs, but I don't use it much any
> more.
>
> Yours looks pretty healthy, except for the display issue.   (You are
> watching it boot up into HP-UX of course.)
>
> This is just a guess, but I'd try it with several different
> monitors.  It may be that the server doesn't like the VESA DDI/DDC
> information it is seeing.
>
> You might also try using an XDMCP login.   I vaguely recall that is
> supposed to work.  But I'm not sure you can get this to work without
> being able to set it up on the console.
>
> (BTW, I was able to load a more recent software image than what was
> originally on my 16700A when I inherited it.  I found it on the
> Agilent site, naturally.   That was five or so years ago.  You might
> want to check there.)
>
> -ch

Hello, Mr. Hoover. I intend to try it with a different monitor, just
haven't gotten the LA and more monitors together.

I have already updated to the latest OS, received from Agilent
yesterday. It changed some things, but I'm still not operational.

XDMCP is an interesting option, but I don't think the machine is
bringing up the ethernet interface and starting an X server properly
yet. I'll try to get it hooked up to a hub so I can so some
promiscuous packet sniffing...

Thanks.

-Pete