[time-nuts] TubeSat Personal Satellite Kit

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 5 23:31:14 UTC 2009

Well  with the specs given, I think that the primary application would be launching your ashes into orbit.  One could take a 200 gram sample, and they'll certainly handle any of the environmental conditions.

One generally expects to see some sort of "user manual" that gives you at least ballpark environmental and other requirements. In the low budget world, the cubesat folks have done this, but their launch cost is $50K.. you get a kilo and a liter to LEO.

Interorbital is pretty "marketing oriented" so far:  "Flight tests will begin in January 2010", and that's of their common propulsion module to 50kft (which is the extent of their current test area's launch authorization). Lots of investment and sponsorship and advertising opportunities.

Their website is pretty optimistic.. (considering they haven't actually launched anything, but the "team" page says that the first crewmember is looking forward to his first flight in 2010)

So.. having not flown yet, it's sort of pointless for them to publish environmental requirements for payloads. They probably only have a rough order of magnitude, if that, idea of what they might be.

James Lux, P.E.
Task Manager, SOMD Software Defined Radios
Flight Communications Systems Section
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop 161-213
Pasadena, CA, 91109