[time-nuts] TubeSat Personal Satellite Kit

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Aug 6 05:31:02 UTC 2009

> It used to be that you could make your payload as ballast for almost
> free (that's how the early Amateur radio sats were launched).  But
> now, the launch service providers know that folks are willing to pay.
> The ³small sat² business has been so successful that most amateur
> operations have been priced out of the market. A university with an
> aerospace engineering program could easily afford $100-200K for launch
> costs, which isn¹t much, spread across a couple dozen class members.
> (For context, an introductory molecular biology class could cost
> $6-10K just for reagents, gels, etc, to do simple gene splicing and
> sequencing)

So what do areospace class projects actually do?  I assume they measure
something.  What is left that is still interesting to measure?  What is the
downlink like?  Is there an uplink?  (if nothing else, it would be handy to
say "now" to the downlink.)

$100-200K over a "couple dozen class members" is still a big chunk of cash.
Even at fancy text book prices that would buy a lot of books.   How much
NSF/NASA/whatever funding is available?