[time-nuts] HP 106B quartz frequency standard...the story so far

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat Aug 8 09:29:18 UTC 2009

jim77742 at gmail.com writes:

Getting  one.

So far I've found places with $300 minimum buys.

However,  as I write I can get one for $30 including postage to
Australia. Still  expensive.

Unless anyone has a 2N1701 lying  around?

Two questions......

First, how desperate are you to replace it with the same  part?
>From a quick look at the device spec it would seem there's a variety of
devices would do the same job, perhaps a 2N3055 for example?, the hardest part
 might be matching the shape but where it's mounted would determine how
necessary  that would be.

Second, unless I've missed something somewhere, are you sure it needs
replacing?
>From what I remember of previous postings I thought you'd said the voltage
was high, but also seem to recall it being pretty close.
Have you checked the transistor, or just measured either side of it to see
if it seems to be regulating?
A voltage a bit high or low on a regulated supply usually indicates just a
need for adjustment.
If there's no adjustable preset it might indicate the  designer didn't
consider the absolute value to be that critical anyway.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR