[time-nuts] HP 106B quartz frequency standard...the story so far

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 14:51:40 UTC 2009

As has been pointed out, my post intended for the group didn't reach
it. It is answering the question as to WHY I fiddled with the oven
temperature. Here it is:

--------------------

Well I can give you an answer - but it doesn't change anything :-)

Oh great flying spaghetti monster, forgive me for I have sinned...

The external frequency adjust mechanism had been removed and I
couldn't find how to adjust the frequency. There were just two screws
on the oven, one shallow and one deep in the oven. Since the 10811
frequency adjust is a screw deep in the oven I assumed that was it. A
turn of the screw confirmed it - I changed it and then the frequency
changed. So I tried to adjust it to get 5MHz. But I couldn't do it. I
also didn't have the manual at this stage.

When I did find the frequency adjust screw (very obvious on the front
of the unit - blush) I realised what I'd adjusted was the inner oven
temperature.

F*&%&$^ #$%^ I think came out of my mouth at this point.

So that's the story how. Now I want to fix it.

P.S. Thank to Bill who phoned me and pointed me to the inner oven. More to come.

Jim