[time-nuts] HP 105B Problem?

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sat Aug 8 23:32:58 UTC 2009

> Thanks for the reply John.
>
> J. Forster wrote:
>> Likely yes, but check the spec. If the output circuit is a low Zout buffer
>> amp and two separate roughly 50 Ohm resistors, they should be
>> independent.
>> Or, two distinct buffers could be used too.
> Ah yes, the spec that's in the manual that I don't have!  :-)

I assume you have checked the Agilent site and with Dave at Artech Media
for update sheets?

> I don't
> know if HP often revises specs or procedures on newer versions of the
same model number.

I don't think they make major changes w/o changing suffix letter, but am
not 100% certain. Certainly they are not likely to degrade performance.

> If not, my unit has a problem.
>> You can do a simple check with an Ohmmeter, with the unit powered OFF.
Measure the R between the front and rear output center pins. If it's
close
>> to zero, they are likely just paralleled, not individually buffered.
> Yes, the front and rear outputs are directly connected - no resistors or
buffers.

OK.

>> As to the amplitude growth, try a different cable length., It might be
>> resonance w/ the cable length terminated by the 'scope's C.
> I just realized that it's not the device on the end of the cable, it's
the cable itself.  Attaching a cable with nothing on the end causes the
meter reading to increase.  Not the kind of thing you expect from HP.

Oh?

Coax (or any transmission lines) at RF MUST be terminated AT BOTH ENDS in
it's characteristic impedance to avoid reflections / high SWR. Improperly
terminated cables tend to go nuts.

It looks at least possible that the 105B outputs have a low impedance, not
a 50 Ohm source. It's not called out in the catalog page scan:

http://instrumentrentallabs.com/sale/catalogs//HP/1994/499.pdf

I don't have a manual here to look it up.

> I tried the same test on an RF generator at 10 MHz and a similar signal
level.  The cable length had no effect on the signal amplitude.

The RF generator has a 50 Ohm output impedance, dollars to donuts.

> Definitely pointing to a circuit trouble.
>
> Ed

I'm not so sure.

-John

>> Best,
>> -John
>> [snip]
>>> In summary, should I be able to use both front & rear connectors
simultaneously without disrupting the other outputs and does it make
sense that high impedance connections cause the 5 MHz level to rise?
Sorry for the rather long message.  Thanks for any help anyone can
provide.