[time-nuts] Power Back-up

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Aug 9 05:45:15 UTC 2009

> Weather projections for California this winter are WET, which implies
> local power failures (lasting up to perhaps eight hours).

> What do time-nuts do for backup power? I have one of the TAPR TBolt
> systems along with numerous other toys (OCXOs that should probably be
> kept running to avoid retrace errors). Automobile batteries? UPS
> inverter systems?

Are your OCXOs in gear that draws real power?  Do you leave that gear running
when you aren't around?

Check the numbers.

Small UPS boxes don't have much capacity.  I'm talking home size units rather
than monster industrial gear.  The target market for the small low-cost units
is long enough for a PC to shut down cleanly.  That doesn't take many
watt-hours.

I got a refurbished APC-750, partly because I can also use it to monitor the
line voltage.

If you get serious, you probably want one of the tiny gizmos that tell you
how much power you are drawing.  They are handy anyway.  Beware that it
doesn't get trapped in a setup that you don't want to power down so you can
retrieve it.