[time-nuts] HP 106B quartz frequency standard...the story so, far

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Sun Aug 9 11:44:27 UTC 2009

Re-read Jim's posts.

To me it seems clear that he is talking about the 2N1701 Q3 in the upper
right corner of fig. 5-12.
He mentioned that +18 measures high, around 26V.
So, the problem is NOT in the battery charger circuit.

The purpose of that Q3 is to generate +17.4V (and +7V) from +26V, with
the base being connected to +18V, thus the emitter voltage of Q3 is +18V
- 0.6 to - 0.7V.

The +18V regulator circuit is on the lower left of fig 5-8, A1A4 Outer
Oven Controller. For a circuit description see 4-40 to 4-44.

The +18V feed the AC amplifier (A1A2), the +15V through R14 (might be
cooked if run at 26V for extended time) and CR2 on the same board, the
power amplifier (A1A3), the outer oven temperature control circuit
(decoupled +18V), and the inner oven control cuircuit A1A5.
The 17.4V that are derived from +18V feed the dividers.

Any adjustments make sense only after fixing the +18V supply.

Actually, Q3 might as well be shorted. I would first remove it from the
circuit to see if the +18V are then correct.
If not, check the voltages at Q9 and Q7 of A1A4. Q9 is mounted on the
oven housing cover.

Regards,
Adrian