[time-nuts] Power Back-up

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 10 07:21:09 UTC 2009

Joseph Gray wrote:
> Over the years, I have gotten several APC Smart UPS for next to
> nothing. In every case, all they needed were new batteries. Unless
> they are physically damaged or a circuit board is toasted, they seem
> to work fine. The attitude seems to be "The battery died, throw out
> the UPS and buy a new one."

That's how I got UPSes. The first once caused me much trouble, until
I've learned that it needs working batteries to even power up properly,
since the relay that breaks the line in needs power from the battery to
engage... dead batteries => dead UPS. That relay is needed in order for
the invertable AC/DC converter to not try to feed the devices on the
feed-side of the UPS on power failure, so it is not illogical, just a
feature of the design.

Getting new batteries for the UPS have solved my problems since I
learned that lesson. Have another big one which needs new batteries
awaiting my attention.

Cheers,
Magnus