[time-nuts] HP 106B quartz frequency standard...the story

Dave M masondg44 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 01:48:21 UTC 2009

> Hi all,
>
> The transistor in my unit (not a 4B model!) is 1854-0015. Lots of those.
>
> If someone can confirm this is identical to 1854-0003 I'll use it.
> Otherwise I may have to take up one of the very kind offers!
>
> On the 2N1701 - it has to be in a T08 package. This transistor sits in
> a special heat sink that is bolted to the oven wall. So unfortunately
> I can't substitute.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim

Jim, obviously, you don't have the same model 5245L that I have.  My manual
for the 5245L doesn't show any 1854-0015 transistors used in the entire
counter.  You'll probably need to get some replacement transistors from me
or one of the others who have offered them to you.  I haven't any idea as to
the characteristics for the 1854-0003, so I'd recommend that you get direct
replacements, especially since they are being offered free to you.

The 2N1701 is available from Talon Electronics at
http://www.talonix.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=27&page=5&sortby=

Either the 2N1485 or 2N1486 transistors should sub for the 2N1701.  Both are
in stock at
http://www.talonix.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=27&page=3&sortby=

Dave M
masondg44 at comcast dot net

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the
self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the
purpose.