[time-nuts] Difference in GPS antennas

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 14 16:38:51 UTC 2009

I have lots of carbon fiber cloth here (both woven and anisotropic mat).  I know from past experience that it makes a pretty good RF absorber.  I can put a tracking transmitter inside an all metal rocket and still get a good signal.  Put it a a cardboard tube laminated with carbon fiber and the signal just about disappears.

If you can scrounge up some suitable RF absorbing material to put on the
pan, that might be an interesting experiment.  Maybe even something like
charcoal briquettes (I don't know if the resistivity is right..)