[time-nuts] OCXO sensitive to gravity

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Aug 15 21:35:28 UTC 2009

On 8/15/09 11:32 AM, "SAIDJACK at aol.com" <SAIDJACK at aol.com> wrote:

> Hi Warren,
>
> that's a smart idea.
>
> It's fun to try different OCXO types out for their individual
> sensitivities. I have seen some that are only sensitive in one single axis,
> others that
> react on several axie.
>
> To take your concept further, one could also orient the OCXO to minimize
> the effect of vibration as well (caused by e.g. power supply transformers,
> fans, walking in the room etc).
>
> If I read the post correctly, someone said they can literally "talk" to
> their DRO, and make the voice come out of their Spectrum Analyzers FM
> demodulation loudspeaker. After all, crystals are quite microphonic as  well.

Yes.. In our case, though, I think the microphonics were from movement of
the cavity lid, which wasn't very rigid. The lid moved, moving the tuning
screw, which moved the little tuning plate suspended over the ceramic puck.
It was a prototype to be sure, so the production item wouldn't be as bad,
but that sort of thing convinced me that anything we could do to reduce the
amount of touch labor needed was to the better.